Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stop the Madness

For years I have lived my life compromising - always trying not to upset the status quo, and I wondered how long I could go on like this. Years ago, I was respected as a medical professional for my scientific writings. Now-a-days, I am quoted as a "blogger" (Dr. Manny, a blogger said...) But I guess that's the price you pay for being in the media.

This morning, I read a story about a lovely couple in England who wanted to adopt a child,but was denied because the potential father was "too fat." Medical advisors for the adoption agency expressed concerns over 37-year-old Damien Hall's health when their risk assessments concluded that his height of 6-feet, 1-inch tall, weight of 343 pounds and BMI of 42 deemed him morbidly obese, and therefore not eligible to adopt at the present time. Now I know my words don't matter that much anymore, but when is the madness going to end?

Today I saw a beautiful child with Down syndrome in my office. He couldn't have been more than 10 years old. So sweet and kind, I was moved by his presence. His innocence was refreshing, and he unknowingly turned my day around. I could only hope to make such a simple difference in someone else's life. And these hopeful parents in England, were trying to do just that.

Even though I write these short blogs, I hope that someone out there begins to realize, that people can make a difference, and certain rules must be forgotten. As Dale Carnegie used to say, "The perfect way to conquer worry is to pray."

No comments:

Post a Comment